16 October, 2006

Catholic High School
Secondary One
Year End Examinations 2006

_________________________

Literary Expressions

Paper 2
5 October 2006
1 Hour 40 Minutes
40 Marks

I could hardly believe my eyes when I flipped open the newspapers on April 26. Three bombs had ripped through the beach resort of Dahab, located on the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt, killing at least 24 people and injuring more than 80 others. Barely two weeks before that, I was in one of the quiet cafes that lined the beach, sipping a fruit shake and admiring the quiet calm of the Red Sea. Thre was some relief that my vacation was not as long as I would have liked, yet the main sensation weighing in my mind was sorrow.

Although I spent only three days in Sinai, it left a deep impression. The idyllic peninsula is a welcome change from the rest of Egypt. I nevertheless find Sinai to be such sweet, sweet relief. My initial intention was to discover its rugged desert landscape - an arid land with more brown than green, where rocks and sand dominate the scenery and little life appears to survive in its deadly dry environment. But being hassled endlessly everywhere else, it feels refreshing to walk along the streets of Duhab undisturbed.

I also have a burning desire to climb Mount Sinai. As the place where the prophet Moses was said to have received the Ten Commandments from God, Mount Sinai is a holy place for Jews, Christians, and Muslims alike. In a country that is financially and culturally dominated by its ancient religion, it is easy to forget that Egypt is closely linked to major modern religions. Joseph, Mary, and infant Jesus were said to have fled from Israel to Egypt to escape persecution from King Herod of Judea. And Islam's influence can be seen everywhere in Ancient Egypt, where gorgeous mosques dot the streets of Cairo. About 90 per cent of Egyptian are Muslims. Prayer calls are heard around their cities five times a days and greetings like ''Sh'allah'' (which means God-willing) are peppered in daily use.

I start my climb to Mount Sinai's 2285 summit at midnight - coincidentally on Good Friday - hoping to catch a glimpse of the sunrise over the desert. Bathed in the glow of a full moon, there is a peaceful hush that surrounds the mountain. ..................................................................

Should I continue?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

1-2