31 December, 2010

So, the year is coming to an end. And I am doing what I've always been doing on the last day of a year, for the past 5 years or so. It's the same - blogging around this time, then heading to watch the Countdown on Channel 5 as Midnight approaches. Strangely, the feeling is the same every year. Ah.. and after that, it is time for some late night food at the Syed Restaurant.

I can still vividly remember one of the first things I did in this amazing year, 2010. It was dining at the Syed Restaurant. Some pratas and a ice teh. Few things can beat that. And I came back home and watched some South Park, I believe. Hmm.

2011 is going to be different. Because I'll be flying off to Xiamen at 8am tomorrow. This is the first time I'm going to go on a holiday at the beginning of a year. And the first time I'm going free and easy. Well, Xiamen isnt too big anyway, so it should be fine, I guess. At least I'm going somewhere, hmm?

So.. time to talk about how the year was, ha. Oh man, there will be a lot to say, man.

First of all, I must emphasise this is the fastest year I have ever experienced. I thought 2009, with the O levels and all, seemed the quickest, but 2010 flew by like a bullet, really. So, let me take myself through the year.

January - Played some badminton as usual. Cannot forget the game I played right before the O level results day at Khatib. Then came the O level results day, and it was a fucking roller coaster. Really did not know what to expect. Then Colin sms-ed me on my way to school to tell me that I "need not worry about my result". I did not know what that was supposed to mean. So I reached school, and walked up the hill, just the way I did when I first came to Catholic High. Hmm. There was a crowd of people at the General Office. And there was the board with the names of those who scored between 6-10 A1s. I heard someone tell me I got 7A1s. I ignored such claims and went to the board. Oh, the glory of seeing my name in the 8A1s list. I had done a good job, indeed. My pick of any JC, hmm? Not exactly. I saw those who went before me, and when people like Zejun, Nicc Haw and Wei Yang all failed their Higher Chinese, I knew it was no joke. Then I received my O level certificate from Mr Tan and he said, "Well done, Ivan. But.. as usual, your Chinese..." I looked at the certificate and saw, to my absolute horror, that I had gotten an E8 for Higher Chinese. One of very few in Catholic High. Disappointing the wonderful Zhang Lao Shi, ha. But more importantly... what the fuck was I going to do with 6-1=5 points? RJ, VJ confirm cannot. NJ was far. Only AJ seemed the possible choice. Fuck man, 8 A1s and this was happening? It was unbelievable. I went home very pissed off, lost my cool. Then Qin En told me that I should appeal. Just appeal. So in the end, for JAE registration I put RJ as my first two choices, VJ as subsequent two choices, and AJ as the last choice. I knew that I would confirm get into AJ if RJ and VJ failed. Decided against NJ because it was, in my opinion, too far, even though VJ would have been considerably further. Then, I appealed to RJ, and only RJ. Decided that VJ was too far.


Oh then came that dreadful sms, that I had been posted to AJ. Expected it but I really wanted to kill some random people in anger. Oh well. First day at AJ was awful. Fucking awful. Immediately after the orientation was over, headed over to Cat High with Jordan, Leong Shuen and Desmond, I believe. The relief when I reached back Cat High cannot be described. Then I got angry and sad as I realised that I would no longer be coming here, but to that place called AJ. Really can go commit suicide already. RJ had not contacte me yet. Was my appeal successful? Would Mr Lee Hak Boon's help be enough to get me into RJ? Then I thought again, that either way, I was leaving Cat High, and that was sad enough.

Second day of orientation... was when I saw that life-changing missed call. Calling back, I realised it was the RJ General Office, and was quite shocked indeed. Then he told me they were considering my appeal, and wanted me to head over to RJ immediately. Oh yes! No words could describe the joy of that. But then, I realised I had to say goodbye to quite a a number of friends in AJ. Oh dear. Then there was Kenneth Wong, whose appeal to TJ had worked as well. I remember waiting outside the GO with him, then heading in to request for permission to leave. Ah.... Then loitered around the school, enjoying my last moments as a student in AJ. Finally left, and went to RJ. Where this woman said I had been accepted, and needed me to sign some stuff. Signed them and wooohoooooo. Went back AJ and yeah, got the principal to sign a document stating I was formally leaving the school. Heh I'm an AJ alumni haha.

February - First day of school was right on my birthday. Orientation was bull shit. But there was a nice shoe bag which unfortunately couldn't fit any shoes.

Then saw my class. Hmm. My first impressions of most of them were accurate la. Nice people. Got to know Sup, Syafiq and Zhi Heng, and school life would be quite different without them. Also, the class was/is very small too.

Joined Recre Badminton, and awesome CCA. Also joined Hissoc, for no reason whatsoever, really.

Ah, settling into JC life was tough at first, really. And went back to Cat High alot of times after school, just needed a familiar place. Luckily, RJ's in Bishan. Ah, Bishan has become my second home. I probably know it better than Yishun, ironically.

March - Hmm. Academic pace begins to quicken. Not so easy. March holidays went back primary school to help out at the P5 camp, thinking it would be just like Sec 3 when it was fun and everything. It was not. It was a complete fucking waste of time, mostly. It isn't the same without the same people. Goodness, what was I thinking.

Joined a badminton group by this bastard named Zachary, and a nice Indian guy from Mumbai named Khozem.

PW groupings were out at this time, and Ms Christine Chuah had put me with Mandi, Yelin and Aisyah. Okay. Didn't know what to think at first. Only time could tell, right?

April - Why did nothing eventful happen in April? I really cannot recall anything substantial happening at this time. But as I was to find out in the future, a very important date falls on this month.

May - Vietnam Trip, pretty awesome. Also began to take notice of her. She seemed.. quiet.

June - CTs. Did okay.

July - The migration of a close friend of 4 and half years, Colin Cheng. Indeed, it was sad to see him leave for Canada. I skipped school that day to see him off, only to come to school after that for Chinese lesson haha.

August - Probably won't forget this month anytime soon. National Day at Zouk was pretty cool. Friday, 20th August, is a date I will probably not forget for a long time. Because it was on this day that I let that special someone know about it. May have been a mistake, may not have been. Either way, I appraised the situation and realised that I would have to admit it, sooner or later. Oh well. On hindsight there are a million ways I could have done it better, but the main objective had been completed, however unpolished it was. Oh dear.

Teachers Day, went to Cat High again. Good to relive the memories.

September - Intense mugging.

October - Promos. Went more or less well. ABBBCD. Gah. Class BBQ at my house.

IHC was awesome. I will never forget the great feeling of playing badminton in air-con. Won that game 21-19, and moments of that game will last in my memory for a long time. Dinner with William and Wendi at Pastamania after that.

November - A level Chinese. Finally, a chance to put things right and get rid of that disgusting stain which was an E8. PW Oral Presentation. In the days leading up to it, there was a big problem regarding the printing and binding, no thanks to a mixture of miscommunication and carelessness. The technical dry run was missed no thanks to Aisyah. Then Yelin went down to Newton or something to get the final WR printed and binded, after 2 failed attempts. But ah, it all worked out perfectly fine in the end. At the end of it, I was feeling pretty confident about an A. But Mandi said she was worried that cannot. But with a pretty pro looking WR, a cool video during the OP, and Mrs Lim Sze Yi saying that ours was pretty ok, there didnt seem to be much cause for worry. Only time will tell, whether an A is achieved or not. Better be haha.


December - Slacking, chilling, relaxing. What else is there to say? And finally, on this day, I am blogging. For the past 1 and a half hours or so. But it's the end of year post, right?






All in all, this year has been a great year. So many things, such a short period of time. Great people and a special someone that I'm always liking you seriously ah. Ha.

Next year is going to be tough. Don't know what to say about it. But oh well.

So, Happy New Year my readers. May next year be great for us all. You've just read 1600+ words ha. Don't know if this is my longest post ever yet.

So..

Goodbye 2010!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

1-2